Starting a business isn’t easy. Sustaining one can be even tougher. When the novelty of being your own boss has worn off and the reality of payroll and a less than stellar recent product launch has you in fits, you’ll take advice and inspiration from anyone with a good idea. Why not take advice from some of the best in the world?
These are my go-to podcasts for entrepreneurs in need of practical advice, tough love and a healthy dose of inspiration to keep going:
- The Lively Show – Jess has created something so special – a place to hear from inspiring and successful entrepreneurs not just about how they started their businesses, but how they navigate all aspects of their life with intention and purpose. If you’ve started a wellness business, a purpose-driven company or a mission-based situation and are struggling with how to walk the line between do-gooding and sound business acumen, this is a podcast for you.
- How I Built This – I know so many people who listen to this podcast with NPR’s Guy Raz that it feels a little silly to include it in a list – but it is THAT good. If you’ve ever been stumped as a business owner about how another company solved a certain problem or created a certain product, this is your podcast. Not every brand is tiny – but they all started small and their stories of growth and failure and getting back on the horse and trying again are inspirational as well as practical.
- Online Marketing Made Easy by Amy Porterfield – The title says it all which is how you know she knows her stuff. I could so easily include her podcast on my list of must-listen marketing pods, but her show is so much more. She truly breaks down everything, shares everything, shows everything, hides nothing. If are are struggling to hire the right marketer or consultant and aren’t sure if you’re ready but need desperately to launch some things on your own, her podcast will not steer you astray. You will get legit tips on how to launch FB ads, create funnels, optimize your shopping cart, organize your funnels and track your sales. You’d be silly not to listen. Really.
- School of Greatness with Lewis Howes – If I had a dollar for every time a School of Greatness podcast made me pull over while driving so I could properly take notes, I’d be a rich woman. I don’t listen to every episode and I definitely cherry pick to find interviews with guests I think I’ll resonate with the most. But! I’ve gotten such great insight and tips on how to approach business, how to approach a money mindset, how to remove obstacles in your business and so much more from this podcast that I’d be remiss not to include it. Such a range of guests and Lewis is so prepared for every interview and so unflinching in his questions that I think he gets some of their best stuff.
- This Week in Startups – For YEARS I’ve been listening to Jason Calcanis interview top startup leaders and every episode gives me something entirely different. Sometimes the tips are practical, sometimes the stories are tragic, often the entrepreneur is at a crossroads. But what I always find most fascinating about his conversations is that he talks about big ideas and his guests are just the right people to do that with him. This is less a podcast for practical A-Z steps on any one thing in your business and more a podcast about thinking bigger than you currently are – approaching the existing landscape in a different way. It inspires me regularly even when I’m don’t even know who the guest is or what they’ll talk about.
I listen to so many podcasts! It was tough to narrow it down to five. But you are a busy entrepreneur and you have limited time. These are the best listens that will round you out, IMO. Listen to them and let me know what you think. I’d love to hear from you about the podcasts that have helped you the most as an entrepreneur.